2014 Corvette Stingray to Pace 97th Indianapolis 500
INDIANAPOLIS – The all-new, seventh-generation 2014 Corvette Stingray will offer as a Indianapolis 500 Pace Car, heading a margin to immature during a start of a 97th using of “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing,” on Sunday, May 26, during Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
It outlines a record 12th time a Corvette has served as a Pace Car, starting in 1978.
“It is an respect to assistance establish a all-new Corvette Stingray during a sacred Brickyard and serve a bequest between Chevrolet and a Indianapolis 500,” pronounced Jim Campbell, GM clamp boss of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. “The 2014 Corvette Stingray’s opening was shabby by racing, creation this prestigious assignment even some-more fitting.”
Along with Chevrolet’s lapse in 2012 as an engine supplier, a Corvette Stingray Pace Car extends a bequest during a Brickyard that dates to a racetrack’s early days.
“Chevrolet is a good partner of a Speedway,” pronounced Jeff Belskus, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corporation boss and arch executive officer. “That tie is heightened this year with a next-generation Corvette in front of a really gifted margin of racers.”
Decked out in Laguna Blue Tintcoat with central Indianapolis 500 graphics on a doors, a Corvette Stingray Pace Car differs from prolongation models with usually track-mandated reserve facilities and strobe lights. No powertrain upgrades are compulsory to run in front of a IndyCar pack, interjection to a all-new 6.2L LT1 engine, that facilities modernized technologies including approach fuel injection, invariably non-static valve timing and Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation). They assistance furnish an estimated 450 horsepower some-more efficiently.
The 2014 Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale this fall, with a automobile indication – featuring a entirely electronic tip that can be operated remotely with a pivotal fob – entrance a few months later. Vehicle highlights include:
- An interior that offers genuine CO fiber and aluminum trim, hand-wrapped leather materials, twin eight-inch configurable driver/infotainment screens, and dual new chair choices – any featuring a lightweight magnesium support for well-developed support
- Advanced motorist technologies, including a five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors 12 automobile attributes to fit a driver’s sourroundings and a new seven-speed primer delivery with Active Rev Matching that anticipates rigging selections and matches engine speed for ideal shifts each time
- Lightweight materials, including a CO fiber hood and removable CO fiber roof row on coupes; combination fenders, doors and back entertain panels; carbon-nano combination underbody panels and a new aluminum support assistance change weight rearward for an optimal 50/50 weight change that supports a world-class power-to-weight ratio
- A sculpted extraneous featuring modernized high-intensity liberate and light-emitting diode lighting and racing-proven aerodynamics that change low drag for potency and opening elements for softened fortitude and lane capability
- Track-oriented Z51 Performance Package, including an electronic limited-slip differential; dry-sump oiling system; constituent brake, differential and delivery cooling; as good as a singular aero package that serve improves high-speed stability.
The Corvette Pace Car facilities a track-capable Z51 package.
Chevrolet and a Indianapolis 500
Chevrolet has a prolonged common story with a Indianapolis Motor Speedway, a Indianapolis 500 and a IZOD IndyCar Series. Chevrolet was founded in 1911, a year of a initial 500-mile race, and a Chevrolet brothers – association co-founder Louis, Arthur and Gaston – all competed in early Indy 500 races. Arthur Chevrolet competed in a 1911 foe and Gaston Chevrolet won it in 1920.
Chevrolet competed in Indy-style foe as an engine manufacturer in 1986-93 and 2002-05 with V-8 engines, and returned in 2012 with a Chevrolet IndyCar twin-turbo V-6 engine with approach injection. In that time, Chevrolet won 118 IndyCar races, powered 7 motorist array champions and scored 7 Indianapolis 500 victories.
2013 outlines a 24th time a Chevrolet has served as a central Pace Car of a Indianapolis 500, some-more than any other brand, dating to 1948 with a Chevrolet Fleetmaster. Camaro has served in a purpose 7 times and, with this year’s running, Corvette has led a approach a record 12 times.
About Chevrolet in Canada
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of a world’s largest automobile brands, doing business in some-more than 140 countries and offered some-more than 4 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides business with fuel-efficient vehicles that underline energetic performance, fluent pattern and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found during www.chevrolet.ca, on Facebook during http://www.facebook.com/chevroletcanada or by following @ChevroletCanada on Twitter.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway