2018 Sustainability Report Details GM’s Drive for Safer, Better, More Sustainable Personal Mobility
OSHAWA, Ontario (June 27, 2019) – Today, General Motors (U.S.) expelled “Transformation in Progress,” a ninth annual sustainability news that highlights a assertive moves a association done in 2018 to grasp a prophesy of a universe with 0 crashes, 0 emissions and 0 congestion. General Motors Canada upheld a company’s prophesy by stability to lead in electric automobile sales, rising a Maven city automobile pity module in Toronto, flourishing a largest automotive program engineering workforce in Canada and ancillary students by a C$1.8-million GM Canada STEM Fund.
“For years, we have pronounced that a automobile attention is experiencing some-more change currently than in a past 50 years. That gait of change is usually accelerating,” pronounced Mary Barra, General Motors authority and CEO. “With a right team, technology, resources and scale to grasp a vision, we trust a usually thing that can stop us is not behaving fast enough. Disruption creates uncertainty, though it also creates immeasurable possibilities that will lead to a improved world.”
“We are in a midst of a travel series – and GM Canada has a large purpose to play in this transformation,” pronounced Travis Hester, GM Canada boss and handling director. “Guided by GM’s vision, we are committed to formulating a safer, improved and some-more tolerable universe we all wish for generations to come.”
2018 Canadian Sustainability Highlights:
- Driving an all-electric future: For a past decade, GM has sole a many plug-in electric vehicles (EV) in Canada. Last year, GM Canada had a best EV sales year ever with sum sales adult +7.2 per cent. The Chevrolet Bolt EV won a annual Double Clutch Awards’ 2018 Green Car of a Year and a 2018 Canadian Green Car of a Year.
- Driving record of a future: In January, GM Canada strictly non-stop a newest engineering facility, a Canadian Technical Centre (CTC) Markham Campus, and became a largest automotive program engineering workforce in Canada. With a idea to strech 1,000 engineers and a concentration on modernized mobility innovations, CTC is building a next-generation of unconstrained automobile program and controls, active safety, automobile dynamics systems, infotainment and connected automobile technologies.
- Driving a next-generation of technological innovators: The GM Canada STEM Fund is a C$1.8-million joining to educational programs that enthuse students in Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) to enthuse a subsequent era of Canadian innovators. Last year, a GM Canada STEM Fund reached some-more than 127,000 children, quite immature girls, by bearing to STEM preparation and mentorship opportunities.
- Driving a universe of common mobility: In early 2018, Maven launched in Canada’s largest city, creation automobile pity easier for Torontonians by giving them a smart, elementary approach to haven a automobile when they need one. Car pity reduces overload and helps everybody get to where they need to go, faster, as any common automobile takes about 10 private cars off a road.
- Driving a destiny with 0 waste: GM Canada distinguished a 10-year anniversary given a initial site, St. Catharines Propulsion Plant, became landfill-free. Since then, Oshawa Assembly, CAMI Assembly, GM Canada Headquarters, Parts Distribution Centres in Woodstock, Ontario and Langley, British Columbia, and a Canadian Technical Centre – Oshawa Campus all assimilated a flourishing tellurian list of landfill-free facilities.
GM Canada 2018 Sustainability Awards:
- The United Nations’ Global Compact Network SDG (Sustainability Development Goals) Leadership Award
- The Wildlife Habitat Council Gold Wildlife Habitat Program award
- Canada’s Top 100 Greenest Employers in 2018
- Clean50 Top 15 Project award
- The Canadian Plastics Industry Association (CPIA) Sustainability Award
- The Independent Electricity System Operator’s (IESO) Best Energy Savings Champion
Learn some-more about a ways General Motors is pushing value by environmental, village and governance factors during www.GMSustainability.com.
About General Motors in Canada
General Motors of Canada markets Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles by Canada’s considerable play network, as good as OnStar and MAVEN services. Headquartered in Oshawa, Ontario, GM Canada employs some-more than 7,700 people opposite a nation and is a famous personality in modernized manufacturing, immature operations, active safety, and unconstrained and connected automobile record investigate and development. For some-more information about General Motors Canada, greatfully revisit www.gm.ca, or follow @GMcanada on Twitter.