Audi has been building automobiles during a Ingolstadt plant for 70 years. The heart of the Group beats in this vital Bavarian city on a Danube, where AUDI AG has a headquarters and operates a largest prolongation site. From a initial thought to a finished car, a entire production routine for a Audi Q2, Audi A3, Audi A4 and Audi A5 models and associated derivatives takes place during a Ingolstadt plant. Around 44,000 people work here, assisting to enable Vorsprung durch Technik. Audi is a region’s mercantile engine and largest employer.
The initial of Auto Union GmbH in Ingolstadt in 1949 started a new section in a history of a automobile manufacturer, that was formerly shaped in Germany’s sovereign state of Saxony. In buildings of a former Ingolstadt Fort in a core of a city, a company began producing gangling parts, motorcycles and DKW vehicles. To symbol a 70th anniversary, a tour in a DKW Schnelllaster offers a fascinating viewpoint on a chronological prolongation sites and a early days of prior Auto Union AG in Ingolstadt.
Where did Audi originate?
Auto Union AG was shaped in Chemnitz in 1932 from a partnership of Audiwerke AG, Horchwerke AG and Zschopauer Motorenwerke-J. S. Rasmussen AG (DKW). When it was founded in Chemnitz, carrying also acquired a automotive arm of Wanderer, Auto Union AG was the second-largest engine automobile prolongation organisation in Germany. The association button consists of 4 interlocking rings, dictated to designate a togetherness of a 4 owner companies. The four brands, Audi, DKW, Horch and Wanderer, were retained. This authorised any of a brands to be reserved a specific marketplace segment: DKW – motorcycles and tiny cars; Wanderer – midsize cars; Audi – cars in a fine mid-size segment; Horch – oppulance cars during a top end of the market.
The conflict of a Second World War put an finish to a successful growth of Auto Union in Saxony. Auto Union AG built a final civilian vehicles in 1940 before switching wholly to the production of troops equipment. After a war, Auto Union AG was expropriated and its manufacturing comforts distant by a Soviet function army. The association was removed from a blurb register of a city of Chemnitz in 1948. At this point, heading employees of Auto Union AG had already left for Bavaria, where they found a new home in Ingolstadt.
A new commencement in Ingolstadt
The signs that Ingolstadt would be a company’s new site were already on a environment on December 19, 1945, when Zentraldepot für Auto Union Ersatzteile GmbH, a executive depository for gangling parts, was founded. Its purpose was to supply a pre-war Auto Union vehicles still in existence (roughly 60,000 in a Western function zones) with gangling parts. Auto Union GmbH was founded in Ingolstadt on Sep 3, 1949, and a new association continued the tradition of a 4 rings in a automotive industry. In intensely medium surroundings, the company primarily focused on creation small, careful vehicles: DKW motorcycles and cars with their standard two-stroke engines. Ingolstadt was primarily selected as a site of a executive repository due to a accessible location in a heart of Bavaria. The city elders of Ingolstadt also upheld a investiture of the central repository since it would advantage a informal labor market. However, one decisive factor in a relocation was a castle city’s troops heritage, dating behind centuries. It was possible to acquire immeasurable open spaces directly, alongside countless barracks, casemates, etc. – a valuable bequest to inherit. The resources for new buildings simply were not available. Starting with a former army supplies bureau on Schrannenstrasse, a association was means to utilize many other buildings formerly used for troops purposes, such as a armory, a granary, and the march gymnasium for a functions after on. The approach in that operational comforts were spread across a whole city meant that well issuing prolongation was roughly impossible. Locals at that time wittily spoke of a “united smelting works.”
Takeover by Daimler Benz
In Apr 1958, Auto Union was acquired by Daimler-Benz. In light of augmenting foe from abroad, a Stuttgart-based association deliberate it essential to enhance a product operation to the lower marketplace segment. At this point, a association in Ingolstadt constructed usually DKW motorcycles, a DKW Schnelllaster van, and a DKW off-road automobile grown for the German Bundeswehr (M-Wagen or Munga as from 1962). The whole newcomer automobile prolongation of Auto Union was strong during a Düsseldorf plant, that had been non-stop in 1950. This was about to change. Given a improved financial circumstances, it was motionless in May 1961 to give up the plcae in Düsseldorf and connect a automobile prolongation activities of Auto Union in Ingolstadt. A serve reason for expanding a Ingolstadt plcae was a dwindling demand for motorcycles, that had resulted in DKW motorcycle prolongation being ceased in a tumble of 1958. This had expelled a lot of employees who could work on a prolongation of a DKW Junior passenger automobile instead. It initial rolled off a line in Ingolstadt in 1959. Construction of a new automobile plant on Ettinger Strasse, on a former troops area approach outward a gates of Ingolstadt, started in a summer of 1958.
Moving divided from a city center
The association took over a new plant in a summer of 1959, though continued to use a facilities in a city to some border for a prolonged time after that. The final of these buildings, a granary used as a executive archive, was not vacated until 1997. Daimler-Benz sole Auto Union to Volkswagen in several stages between 1964 and 1966, creation Auto Union GmbH a auxiliary of Volkswagenwerk AG. Following a partnership with NSU Motorenwerke AG in 1969, a company was renamed Audi NSU Auto Union AG. With a continued enlargement of a plant premises on Ettinger Strasse and a compared relocation of a analogous dilettante departments to the new buildings of Technical Development in Dec 1970, a significance of a old facilities in a city core continued to decrease. When a Sales departments of VW and Audi were joined in 1974, a final remaining departments left a city center, too. The plant site on Ettinger Strasse, meanwhile, grew ceaselessly, eventually reaching a stream monumental proportions and covering 2,737,500 m2 (29,466,205 sq ft). In 1985, a automotive company was renamed to AUDI AG. Both a association and a products have borne a same name ever since.
A board on a former executive building on Schrannenstrasse reminds passers-by of the years in that Auto Union was rebuilt.
Historical Production Sites in Ingolstadt
Administrative building: Schrannenstrasse 3
As a former castle city with many empty troops buildings and due to a executive plcae on the highway between Nuremberg and Munich, Ingolstadt supposing glorious conditions for the new start of Auto Union. The substructure of a “Zentraldepot für Auto Union Ersatzteile” in December 1945 noted a commencement of a relocation of Auto Union from Chemnitz to West Germany. The executive buildings of a stately supplies bureau on Schrannenstrasse and the army bakery and supplies room located behind them, that were used as a storage area for a executive depository, were leased in 1946 and served as a basement of a new location.
After being used as a executive depository, a environment was deliberate as a initial administrative center of a newly founded Auto Union GmbH in Ingolstadt from 1949. The residence was built in 1880/81 and creatively had 3 floors. After a building was exceedingly shop-worn during a bombing raid on Apr 21, 1945, a third building was demolished and transposed with a roof structure as seen today. It is now used as a bend bureau of a district justice of Ingolstadt.
Central repository and patron service: Proviantstrasse/Adolf-Kolping-Strasse
Behind a executive building, several buildings were organised around an middle courtyard.In a early 1950s, this yard was used as a public place for customers, visitors, employees and reporters for press presentations, for example. After 1954, patron service and a after-sales training propagandize were set adult in a former army bakery along Proviantstrasse.
The supplies room on Adolf-Kolping-Strasse has been demolished in a meantime. What is famous as a “social city hall” is located in a place today. There was a building on the opposite side of Adolf-Kolping-Strasse that was used by a Auto Union Advertising, Export, and Sales departments. This building no longer exists. The technical college of a city of Ingolstadt can be found here today.
Engine and smoothness manufacturing: The aged armory during Unterer Graben
At a beginning, a executive repository had been stocked exclusively with aged register or spare parts delivered by former suppliers. In 1946 the company started to furnish some-more tools itself.
This enclosed many particularly a prolongation of finish engine/transmission units for a twocylinder, two-stroke engine of a pre-war DKW F 5, F 7, and F 8 models, and a post-war DKW F 89 L and F 89 P models commencement in 1949/50. The association rented a aged armory during Unterer Graben for this undertaking. In further to a DKW two-cylinder engines, a transmissions for the DKW three-cylinder models were also fabricated in this building as from 1953. The old armory is deliberate to be a tangible start of automotive prolongation in Ingolstadt because a prototypes of a DKW Schnelllaster outpost were constructed on a second building of the building in 1948/49. Using joist planks and ropes, a vehicles had to be changed around the staircase into a yard. Another product to come from this site was a initial post-war DKW motorcycle, a DKW RT 125 W. Today, this building is assigned by a state vocational school.
Motorcycle prolongation and smoothness (until 1956): The granary during a Esplanade
The former granary on a belligerent that was famous as a “banana property”, was an important part of a early rebuilding duration of Auto Union after a war. The granary, that was built in 1898, was used for motorcycle prolongation commencement in 1949 and converted accordingly. The first public line for a DKW RT 125 W was set adult in this building, and a RT 200 and RT 250 models followed after on. The granary was stretched in 1951, and a apparatus was used as a distributing room for a motorcycles. After motorcycle prolongation had been changed to a new building subsequent door, Auto Union workers used a granary to build motorcycle frames. The spare tools dialect afterwards changed into these premises in 1958 once a prolongation of twowheeled vehicles had ceased. Later on, a executive repository of Audi NSU Auto Union AG and AUDI AG was located here for many years before it changed to complicated buildings tighten to a plant in 1997. Of all a buildings in a core of Ingolstadt used underneath a ensign of a 4 rings, the granary is a one to have served a longest. The site continued to be used by various businesses until a finish of May 2010.
DKW Schnelllaster oppulance train – DKW F 800/3 Schnelllaster oppulance bus
The DKW Schnelllaster symbolizes a rebirth of Auto Union in West Germany in 1949. It was the initial indication built by Auto Union after a Second World War and a initial automobile that was produced in Ingolstadt. The pattern of a DKW Schnelllaster with a pioneering cab-overengine construction was shaped on a proven DKW front-wheel expostulate record from a prewar period. The early DKW Schnelllaster indication F 89 L built in 1950 was primarily propitious with a two-cylinder, two-stroke engine. The arguable 20-metric-horsepower (later 22) smoothness outpost was offered with several physique variants trimming from flatbed trucks, row vans, and cattle trucks all the approach to oppulance buses. In 1952, Auto Union launched a revised indication with an extended wheelbase and new four-speed transmission. The DKW F 800 indication followed in 1954, featuring a new, longitudinally mounted two-cylinder, two-stroke engine building 30 metric horsepower. The some-more absolute three-cylinder, two-stroke engine (32 metric horsepower) was launched a following year. The DKW F 800/3 indication with a proven three-cylinder engine was produced starting in Jul 1955. Its predecessor, a F 800/30, was dropped after only 14 months in production. The three-cylinder Schnelllaster was also accessible in opposite variants; for example, as a organisation train and row outpost (until 1962) or a flatbed lorry (until 1960). The distinctive facilities of a oppulance train enclosed a high-quality interior equipment, all-round glazing, steel shifting roof, and distinguished two-tone paint finish.
During a epoch of a Schnelllaster, additionally 100 electric Schnelllaster vans were constructed in Ingolstadt and sold mainly to energy companies, public application companies, and battery manufacturers. The DKW “electric van” was fitted with a array engine with an outlay of 5 kilowatts. The lead batteries stored on a side in dual boxes were rated during 80 volts and had a ability of 200 amp-hours. The maximum range of a electric DKW was 80 kilometers (49.7 miles).
With a tip speed of 40 km/h (24.9 mph), it was used primarily for brief trips around town. The locale of dual of these vehicles are famous to this day. Official prolongation of a Schnelllaster during Auto Union in Ingolstadt finished with a DKW F 800/3 indication in 1960. It was quickly resurrected in 1962 with bureau prolongation for authorities before a epoch of a Schnelllaster in a city on a Danube finally came to an end.