The 2014 Acura RLX is the most powerful, spacious, and technologically
advanced Acura sedan ever. Powered by an all-new 310-horsepower
direct-injected V-6 engine, and featuring an array of Acura signature
technologies, including Precision All-Wheel Steer™, Jewel Eye™ LED
headlights, and the next generation of the AcuraLink® connected car system,
the RLX fulfills Acura’s commitment to creating “the synergy between man
and machine” and delivers new levels of technology-enhanced performance,
comfort and convenience in Acura’s flagship sedan.
Using smart packaging, advanced aerodynamics, and lightweight body design,
along with fuel-saving i-VTEC with Variable Cylinder Management engine
technology, the RLX delivers the most spacious five-passenger seating in
its class along with a top-class EPA fuel economy rating of 20/31/24 mpg
With a longer wheelbase and wider greenhouse than competing mid-luxury
sedans, the new RLX delivers full-size interior space in a nimbler,
mid-size luxury sedan package. The RLX boasts the longest rear-seat
legroom (38.8 inches), and best front (59.6 inches) and rear (57.0 inches)
shoulder room in the mid-luxury class. The RLX advanced body design makes
extensive use of high-strength steel and aluminum, further aiding its
outstanding fuel efficiency, straight-line performance, and superior
The new RLX reaches higher and farther into the high-end luxury sedan
market with an incredible array of advanced safety, driver-assistive, and
information and media technologies, including the standard next-generation
AcuraLink™ connected car system, and Multi-Angle Rearview Camera; along
with available Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control
with Low-Speed Follow and Blind Spot Information (BSI) system. Safety
systems available on the RLX include technologies such as Collision
Mitigation Brake System (CMBS), Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane
Departure Warning (LDW).
Utilizing Acura’s next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ II
(ACE™ II) body structure, along with seven airbags (including new driver’s
knee airbag), the RLX is anticipated to earn top-level safety ratings – a
5-star NCAP Overall Vehicle Score, and IIHS “TOP SAFETY PICK+” rating,
including a GOOD rating in the IIHS small overlap frontal collision test.
The RLX also offers intuitive technology that reduces stress and simplifies
the driving and ownership experience – with features such as Electronic
Parking Brake with Automatic Brake Hold, a capless refueling system, Smart
Entry/Smart Start keyless access system, easy-to-use and customize dual
touch screens, “tensionless” e-pretension front seatbelts, and available
rain-sensing windshield wipers, among others.
Acura and Industry Firsts
Befitting its flagship sedan status, the new RLX has a long list of
- Jewel-Eye™ LED headlights enhance the RLX’s modern and distinctive
appearance while providing outstanding light distribution and improved
- Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS) continuously monitors and calculates
the correct amount of independent rear-wheel steering (toe angle)
necessary to help the RLX meet driving conditions with the utmost ease
- Scheduled to debut on the 2014 RLX, Sport Hybrid Super Handling All Wheel
Drive (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD) is an innovative new drive system that blends
hybrid power with Acura’s advanced Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive
(SH-AWD). (More information on the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD will be
provided prior to its on-sale date.)
- Engineered by one of the world’s most premium audio companies, the
available 14-speaker Krell premium audio system sets a new benchmark in
automotive audio performance (RLX with Krell Audio package and RLX with
Advance package trims).
U.S. Technology Firsts
- The available next-generation AcuraLink™ delivers a bevy of new
information, media, convenience, and security services via embedded
two-way communications and web-enabled devices, including AcuraLink
Real-Time Traffic™ featuring freeway traffic and all-new surface street
- The available Front seatbelt e-pretensioners use electronic controls to
reduce tension for a more comfortable seatbelt experience during normal
driving conditions. This is the first seatbelt tensioning system to
incorporate yaw movement as well as braking.
Acura Technology Firsts
- Acura’s first direct injected engine contributes to the 3.5-liter V-6
engine’s high performance, low emissions, and 20/31/24 mpg EPA
city/highway/combined fuel economy rating.1
- Double wishbone, double joint front suspension optimizes suspension
geometry to significantly improve agility, driver confidence and ride
- Agile Handling Assist uses active braking to help the driver smoothly and
easily trace the desired line through a curve with smaller steering
- The available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow allows
the RLX to independently maintain a set following distance in low-speed
traffic conditions, including stop and go traffic, and to initiate
vehicle braking when necessary.
- The available Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) uses a camera to detect
lane markings on the road and actively assist the driver in keeping the
car in a detected lane.
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) uses a camera mounted in the upper
portion of the windshield to detect vehicles ahead of the RLX and audibly
and visually alert the driver when it determines that a collision with a
detected vehicle is imminent.
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) uses the same windshield-mounted camera as
the FCW system to detect lane markings on the road and alert the driver
if the vehicle is wandering from a detected lane.
- Electric Parking Brake provides one-touch parking brake activation.
- Automatic Brake Hold maintains the vehicle’s position for up to ten (10)
minutes without the driver having to maintain pressure on the brake
pedal. Braking is released when the driver steps on the accelerator
- The RLX’s available retractable door mirrors can be configured to
automatically retract when the doors are locked, and then automatically
extend when the doors are unlocked.
- Multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines uses active
guidelines that curve, displaying the amount of steering wheel input on
the display to aid in backup maneuvers.
- Capless fueling eliminates the fuel cap and improves ease of fueling.
- A driver’s side knee airbag is designed to help keep the driver in a
proper seating position in the event of a moderate to severe frontal
*For full details, download the “2014 Acura RLX Press Kit” by clicking on the link above.