Drew with VW
On Monday, we attended a grand opening of a Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. Test Center California (TCC) in Oxnard, CA. This 64,000-square-foot trickery is one of a primary product growth and emissions exam laboratories globally and is a usually core of a kind for Volkswagen Group in North America, replacing a stream exam comforts located in Westlake Village, CA. After a brief badge slicing ceremony, we went on a debate of a drift to knowledge a singular workshops firsthand.
With a name organisation of media, we initial schooled about how a TCC group is posterior a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Silver acceptance for a building itself–following in a footsteps of a LEED Platinum® authorized plant in Chattanooga, TN where a Passat is built. Volkswagen’s idea is for a TCC to be one of a many environmentally unwavering car exam laboratories in a world. This proceed is reflected in a accumulation of a building’s pattern elements, particularly solar panels on a roof and over a carports, that can beget one-third of a building’s appetite supply, and a use of fit plumbing technologies to assistance revoke altogether H2O use by 35 percent.
The largest open contrast area was a product growth laboratory where engineers have entrance to dynamometers, laser-based fixing machines, circle balancers, and more. One of a coolest facilities here is a complement built into a roof that collects empty emissions from using vehicles with several tubes that can be changed to probably anywhere in a room, compared to preceding systems that limited this record to being located usually in lift bays.
Even some-more “cool,” engineers can exam vehicles in temperatures from reduction 30 adult to 43 degrees Celsius in a emissions laboratory to assistance make certain a vehicles run appropriately. This record saves engineers from carrying to send vehicles to places like Alaska for testing.
The TCC will play a essential purpose in ensuring that innovative engine technologies are integrated into a product growth process, behaving as a final stop before vehicles are authorized for production. Beyond antecedent vehicles, engineers will also exam new prolongation models for durability. These models are placed into fleets that are ordinarily initial put into unchanging consumers’ hands to expostulate as their day-to-day vehicles, underneath an agreement with a center. Once these drivers have put adequate miles on a vehicles, engineers will entirely exam a whole car for continuance and even intentionally implement improper components to make certain all sensors are operative correctly.
The final stop on my debate was a tools research laboratory. To put it simply, any tools that could spin on a “check engine” light are tested in this room. Aside from new antecedent parts, a engineers highlight exam components that are ordinarily transposed during dealerships to assistance safeguard a play creates suitable deputy decisions and envision common wear items.
After a full day during a facility, we sat down with one of a engineers to get answers to some of a good questions we received on Facebook final week. I’ve enclosed a answers below. For additional information on Test Center California, follow this couple to a central press recover distributed progressing this week.
Inquiries from Facebook Fans:
Are trickery tours available?
• Unfortunately, with prototypes and new technologies being tested, Volkswagen can't offer tours.
Is a trickery hiring?
• The trickery recently hired some-more people for a opening of a TCC, bringing a stream count to 50 people. The trickery will continue to sinecure as indispensable and we would suggest anyone meddlesome invariably check a VW career site for opportunities.
Will a Scirocco be tested here?
• While one concentration of a trickery will be North American products, a TCC will be contrast vehicles and technologies from around a universe so there is a good possibility that locals will get a glance of a Scirocco, Amarok, and other renouned general models.
Will there be any diesel contrast here, privately a diesel hybrid or diesel Tiguan?
• VW will continue to make enrichment in diesel record and a TCC will be during a forefront. we reliable that product planners are looking into diesel options on destiny models, over a vehicles that are now propitious with TDI® Clean Diesel engines.
What Volkswagen Group brands will be tested here? Will Ducati be included?
• Volkswagen, Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti will all be tested during a facility. Currently, there are no skeleton to embody Ducati.
What does Volkswagen do with a vehicles after they have left by testing? Are they for sale?
• This depends on a specific vehicle. Generally a trickery will accept 3 opposite forms of vehicles: prototypes, new prolongation vehicles and patron vehicles. Obviously, patron vehicles will go behind to a owner. Prototypes are not authorised to be sole though might be used for specific events like automobile shows. The prolongation vehicles used in swift contrast during times are sole to dealers to offer as pre-owned vehicles. However, a showing of vehicles varies depending on a form of testing, repair, or age of a vehicle.
How does VW brand consumer exam drivers?
• VW receives leads from dealers and surveys on business that live in aim regions and have specific pushing patterns. In short, there’s no list, though if we are asked to attend in a VW survey, know that they are severely evaluated!
Will Volkswagen continue to manufacturer primer transmissions?
• Yes. Volkswagen is performance-oriented and knows it has many business that suffer rowing their possess gears.
Why California? Does it have to do with emissions standards in a state?
• There are several reasons because Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. chose Oxnard, CA. Most importantly was a comparatively consistent meridian of Oxnard, sea turn elevation, and purify air.
There are hundreds of solar panels on a roof. What commission of a facility’s appetite do they offer? Is there something created on a roof with a panels? Do a panels over a parking lot appetite block in vehicles like a E-Golf?
• There are some-more than 2,500 panels provision 430 kilowatts of power, approximately one-third of a facility’s power. The panels are in a singular arrangement on a roof though only for logistical reasons (e.g., avoiding atmosphere conditioning vents and other equipment on a rooftop). There are charging stations for electric vehicles in a parking lot, though a panels on tip of a carports yield appetite to a whole site so they minister to all appetite needs including a electric car chargers when they are being used.