GM Canada President Steve Carlisle Challenges Canada To Anchor A New Role In Future Automotive Technology, Jobs And Innovation Supply Chains
Announces $1 million in support for a University of Waterloo’s “Educating a Engineer of a Future campaign” and launches a new GM Automotive Innovation Outpost during Communitech
TORONTO, (November 10, 2015) – In remarks to a Canadian Club in Toronto, GM Canada boss and handling executive Steve Carlisle now called on governments in Canada to act quick to carve out a eloquent purpose in a quick changing automotive zone that is increasingly tangible by electric vehicles, connected and unconstrained pushing cars and new approaches to civic mobility.
“No company, nation or supervision owns this space, though we see that Canada has graphic advantages in mobile technology, engineering skills, practical investigate and a clever automotive history,” pronounced Carlisle. “As Canada prepares to deposit billions in most indispensable civic travel infrastructure, we need to know how new automotive technologies and civic mobility approaches can boost infrastructure ROI, accelerate environmental advantages and anchor new high learned Canadian jobs during a forefront of a new automotive creation supply chain.”
In Apr 2015, GM Canada announced it that has been awarded a new automotive RD and creation charge during a Oshawa Engineering Centre, focused on quick rising “connected car” and a growth of new civic mobility solutions. The association is employing 100 new program engineers and enchanting a flourishing ecosystem of name Canadian universities, accelerators and suppliers in a mandate.
Carlisle announced that GM Canada will support a University of Waterloo’s Engineering Faculty by providing $1 million to account a Research Chair in modernized materials while also sponsoring engineering tyro Capstone pattern projects involving program development, that is pivotal to GM Canada’s work on “the connected car.”
Dean of Engineering Dr. Pearl Sullivan said, “Waterloo Engineering has a longstanding partnership with GM Canada. Their support of a Educating a Engineer of a Future debate allows us to combine serve to allege innovations in automotive lightweighting and connectivity.”
Carlisle also announced that GM Canada will settle an creation investigate outpost within Waterloo’s Communitech creation investigate heart with initial concentration on civic mobility, automobile pity and mobile app innovation.
“Communitech has grown a singular creation ecosystem that allows craving companies and startups to combine and innovate together,” pronounced Communitech CEO Iain Klugman “General Motors Canada is a good further to this ecosystem, as a startup and mid-sized companies will advantage from carrying entrance to a universe category automotive company, while GM Canada will be unprotected to new concepts, technologies and ways of meditative about opportunities in a automotive sector.”
- GM has a poignant attention lead in a accessibility of 4G LTE connectivity branch a cars into absolute mobile prohibited spots means to support adult to 7 streaming mobile devices.
- GM’s OnStar Remote Link app allows business to use their smartphone to remote start their car, open doorway locks, check tire pressure, oil life and more.
- GM is ancillary a operation of automobile pity projects internationally including one in New York with a swift of cars accessible to condo owners 24/7 as partial of their condo fees, reservable by specialized app.
- GM sells 3 block in electric automobile models in Canada including Canada’s largest-selling block in electric car, a Chevrolet Volt.
- GM has announced that in 2016 it will launch a affordable, all-electric Chevrolet Bolt electric automobile in Canada with 320km operation before recharging.
- GM has launched a “Teen Driver” app, permitting relatives to lane distance, speed, overspeed warnings, antilock rendezvous and with chair belt compelling technologies on certain vehciles.
- GM Canada now manages approximately $190 million investigate and growth work per year with a far-reaching operation of heading Canadian suppliers and universities.
- The Oshawa Engineering Centre activities embody growth of new “connected car” program and active controls, new civic mobility solutions and creation in a use of batteries, choice fuels, light-weight and modernized materials that assistance urge fuel economy.
About General Motors in Canada
Headquartered in Oshawa, Ontario, General Motors of Canada employs some-more than 9,000 people opposite a country. GM Canada markets a full operation of fuel-efficient Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles and associated services by Canada’s largest automotive play network. More information per GM vehicles can be found during www.gm.ca. To learn some-more about creation and a destiny of a automotive attention revisit www.gminnovates.ca or follow @GMCanada and #GMInnovatesCA on Twitter.