11/01/2016, Fountain Valley, CA
Hyundai Engineering Team Explores a Limits of new Hybrid’s Eco-performance, Applying Nitrous-oxide and Special Aerodynamics for Record
Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) Approved the New Production-based Hybrid Category Record
BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, Utah – A race-prepared Hyundai Ioniq hybrid prototype, grown by Hyundai Motor America’s Engineering and Quality team, set an FIA-approved production-based hybrid car land speed record of 157.825 mph, with a rise exit speed of 160.7 mph during Utah’s eminent Bonneville Salt Flats. The eco-focused Ioniq is Hyundai’s newest hybrid model, with hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric powertrains to be available. Ioniq hybrid and electric models go on sale in a U.S. in late 2016.
“We couldn’t be some-more unapproachable in environment a FIA hybrid-category record with a new Ioniq hybrid,” pronounced Mike O’Brien, clamp president, Corporate and Product Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “Our engineering organisation unequivocally pushed a boundary to set this new shred benchmark while demonstrating a considerable continuance of a whole Ioniq car platform. We design this will be a initial of many accolades for Ioniq.”
Hyundai Motor America’s engineering and peculiarity organisation led a judgment growth for this grassroots motorsports effort. “A pivotal purpose of Hyundai’s engineering organisation in a U.S. is to entirely exam all destiny car prototypes to safeguard they surpass a perfectionist expectations of a customers,” pronounced Mircea Gradu, director, Engineering and Quality, Hyundai Motor America. “As we achieved these tests on Ioniq, a engineering and peculiarity staff became so tender with a formula that we began to consternation if we should lift a sights even higher, and a Ioniq land speed record bid was born.”
The growth organisation done a series of special modifications to a Ioniq hybrid antecedent to mangle a hybrid record, including:
- Low-restriction intake and empty systems with defended catalyst
- Engine, transmission, and hybrid ECU recalibrated and governors removed
- Air conditioning and subordinate accessories removed
- Nitrous Express single-stage direct-port nitrous injection with stand-alone fuel system, cockpit-controlled
- Ioniq Electric indication front grille and valance integration
- Underbody and atmosphere dam aerodynamic modifications
- Interior components private or lightened
- Progress Competition coil-over cessation with optimized spring, damping and lean bar rates and float tallness lowered 100mm
- Lightweight aero wheels and circle covers with Goodyear® Eagle tires
- Fully-integrated high-strength reserve enclosure structure (Bisimoto-designed)
- Sparco® 6-point reserve strap system, racing seat, and motorist reserve gear
- On-board fire-suppression system, battery disconnects and parachute
BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS
The Bonneville Salt Flats is a densely packed salt pan in Tooele County of northwestern Utah. The area is a vestige of the Pleistocene Lake Bonneville and is a largest of many salt flats located west of the Great Salt Lake. The skill is public known for land speed records at a “Bonneville Speedway“. Access is giveaway and visitors can expostulate on a flats.
FEDERATION INTERNATIONALE DE L’AUTOMOBILE (FIA)
The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile or International Automobile Federation) is an organisation determined in 1904 to paint a interests of motoring organizations and motorists alike. To a ubiquitous public, a FIA is mostly famous as a ruling physique for many auto racing events. The FIA also promotes road safety around a world.